2 September 2026
Autumn is making its presence
felt. The chestnut leaves are on the turn. Other trees too. The students have begun to arrive in St.
Andrews after their long summer break. Our apples, pears and plums are ripening
for a rich harvest.
The fruit has been exceptional this
year. In the summer, we had a lot of strawberries. These plants were taken as
runners from the ones we bought four years ago. We must have about two dozen
plants but I had another 175 runners from that initial set.
We are now harvesting the plums.
We got none last year and felt pessimistic about this year’s crop. The tree is
purposely small and the leaves were crinkling in the summer heat but we got
over hundred Victoria plums. There’s
nothing more refreshing than picking a plum in the early morning sun and savouring
it.
One of the James Grieve apples
fell to the ground. I turned the others but they were steadfastly attached to
the tree. I baked the apple for breakfast filling it with some muesli, raisins
and some cinnamon all mixed together with some butter. It made a change for
porridge and still provided me with fibre.
Leeks and onions were not good.
They didn’t swell - perhaps there wasn’t enough water. I was disappointed. The
lettuce made up for it. We’re on our second crop. Mary-Catherine’s tomatoes are
still providing fruit. We are having tomato quiche tonight!
One of the delights of my early
morning walk are the bramble patches which for most of the year are barren but
not now. I gather a handful at two staging posts, an early first breakfast.
‘What a rich harvest your goodness provides!’ sings the Psalmist. ‘Wherever you
go there is plenty.’ (Psalm 65;11 GNB)
Comments
Post a Comment