23 September 2026
‘When I was three years old,’ Hildegard of Bingen said to her teacher, Jutta, ‘I felt close to God. Ever since then, I can see him in everything he has made – plants, animals, people, everything. It has made me so happy.’ This relationship was greatly enriched by a series of visions which she had during her life. She explained how they came to her.
‘The visions which I saw I did not
perceive in dreams nor when asleep nor
in a delirium nor with the eyes or ears of the body. I received them when I was
awake and looking around with a clear mind, with the inner eyes and ears, in
open places according to the will of God.’
She was unsure about them. In the
first place, they were often accompanied by bouts of ill health – and so she
suffered for them. In the second place, she didn’t feel free to share them with
anyone. Jutta knew. But it was only when Jutta died and Hildegard gained the authority
of abbess that she wrote her visions down.
By this time, she was forty-two.
Six years later, she wrote a letter to Bernard of Clairvaux asking him to
confirm her vocation. ‘Noble and most gentle Father,’ she wrote, ‘I depend upon
your soul. Make it clear to me, if you will, through this exchange, whether I
should say these things in the open or maintain my silence.’
Bernard confirmed her vocation. It
was further confirmed by the Pope himself. Pope Eugenius III belonged to the
same order as Bernard of Clairvaux and had heard about Hildegard from him. He
sent a delegation to her monastery to obtain a copy of her writings. He was
impressed.
Comments
Post a Comment